MAC OS: Password changes on PGP encrypted computers
UVM Faculty and Staff using macs will not have those computers joined to the CAMPUS domain.
They should still use the netID and the netID account password when the PGP pop up for enrollment with the PGP server comes up. These directions assume that the client used their netid password to enroll that account with their macOS computer on the PGP server.
THERE MUST BE TWO ACCOUNTS ON THE COMPUTER TO MAKE THE CHANGE, BOTH ACCOUNTS MUST BE LISTED IN THE USER ACCESS LIST IN PGP DESKTOP BEFORE YOU PROCEED.
If there is only one account, create another local account with administrator access, open PGP desktop, add that user to the list of those under User Access in the PGP disk section
- Login to the Mac using the local account created that is enrolled in PGP on the Mac–not the account associated with the netid password change
- Open a browser and change the password to the netID account that was used to enroll the computer with the PGP server in a browser at www.uvm.edu/account
- Open PGP desktop (use shortcut in upper right or look in Applications folder)
- In the menu on the far left click PGP disk, then the volume listed for the mac hard drive
- A list of users comes up on the right, click on the netID (the one that the password change was just performed for) in that list
- Click the minus sign in the bottom of the box under the list of accounts to delete that account
- A box pops up “Please enter your PGP Whole Disk Passphrase” ENTER THE OLD NETID PASSWORD IN THAT BOX (or the one associated with the local account, both should work)
- The account associated with the netid that just had a password change disappears from the list. Click the plus sign at the bottom of the box to add it back: choose add passphrase user
- Box pops up: for user name use the netID, for passphrase enter the NEW netID password in both boxes for the new passphrase
- You get the “Please enter your PGP Whole Disk Passphrase” pop up: ENTER THE PASSPHRASE FOR ANY OF THE OTHER ACCOUNTS IN THAT LIST UNDER USER ACCESS
- Use the NEW netID password to get past the PGP login screen.
If these steps fail, please contact the UVM Tech Team Support Line at 656-2604 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. DO NOT send the Helpline your netID password for any reason. You may need to arrange for a site visit by an ETS client services staff member.