The following walkthrough will add your UVM Exchange account to the native Android Email and Calendar apps on your smartphone or tablet. Please note that there are many different variations of the Android operating system. Your Android device may have different menus and prompts than seen in the images below. However, the configuration steps should be similar enough to follow along.
UVM is not currently enforcing mobile device security policies when you connect to Exchange, but we do intend on having mandatory security policies at some point. In the meantime, we strongly recommend that you have security controls on your mobile device if you are accessing University resources, including email. At a minimum, we encourage you to have a security PIN or passcode and an idle timeout of 10 minutes or less.
Remove your existing UVM IMAP account from Android
- Your device may have an old UVM email account configured using IMAP from the previous email system. We recommend removing this IMAP account from your device before adding your Exchange account. Open the “Settings” app and scroll down to the “Accounts” area as shown in the image below. If your device has not been configured with an UVM IMAP account, click here to jump to the “Adding an Exchange Account to Android 5.1” section of the documentation.
- To remove the old UVM IMAP account from your device, open the “Settings” app and scroll down to the “Accounts” area as shown in the image below. Tap on “Accounts” to continue.
- The next screen will display a list of the accounts currently added to your device. If you see a “Personal (IMAP)” account, tap on it.
- You’ll need to verify that the IMAP account you selected in the previous step corresponds to the UVM IMAP account you wish to remove from your device. Once you’ve verified that the IMAP account is for your UVM email address, tap on it to continue. If you find that the account details are for a non-UVM email address, go back to the previous step and continue through any other “Personal (IMAP)” accounts listed.
- The next screen will show you the Sync details for the account. Tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen to see the menu options.
- Once you’ve expaned the menu option, you should select “Remove Account“.
- Android will ask you to confirm the removal of this account, tap “Remove Account” to complete the process.
Adding your Exchange Account to Android 5.1+
- Open the “Settings” app and scroll down to the “Accounts” area as shown in the image below. Tap on “Accounts” to continue.
- Once you are in the “Accounts” area, tap on “Add Account”.
- You’ll be prompted with a list of potential account types, tap on “Exchange“.
- Enter your UVM email address. In this example, our user is Joe Shmoe, who has a NetID of jshmoe. Enter your UVM email address in the email@example.com format. Using your firstname.lastname@example.org address may cause errors.
You will need to configure your preferred email address here, this “Preferred Email address” is the address that will be used when sending mail from your exchange connected mail clients and devices. When you’re ready, tap Next to continue.
- If you receive an error “Duplicate Account: You’re already using this username for the account email@example.com“, you likely have an old UVM IMAP account on your device which needs to be removed. Click here to jump to the “Remove your existing UVM IMAP account from Android 5.1“ section of this documentation. If you did not receive an error, continue to step 6.
- Enter your UVM NetID password, press “Next” when you are ready to continue.
- The next screen may show you some incoming server settings. It is important to verify that the “SERVER” is set to “activesync.uvm.edu“. While many Android devices will automatically configure these settings correctly, the variation in Android versions may require you to manually enter the correct SERVER. Once you have verified the server address is correct, tap “Next” to continue.
- Android may prompt you with a notification about “Remote security administration”. Tap “OK” to continue.
- The next screen will show you the current sync settings for this Exchange account. You can alter this to fit your needs, however, we recommend these default settings. Tap “Next” when you are ready to continue.
- Android will ask you to activate a “Device administrator”. Tap “Activate” to continue.
- Setting an Account Name is optional, you can edit your “Account Name” in this step, note that the name you have listed in the UVM directory will be the name that appears on messages you send as well as how you appear in the UVM address book.
- Once you’ve completed this step your UVM Exchange account should be available on your device. This will allow you to access your UVM emails via Exchange, you can also open your Calendar app to view and create meetings.
That’s it, you’ve successfully added the UVM exchange account to your Android device!
For more details on the Exchange Migration project, please visit our landing page here: http://www.uvm.edu/it/email/exchange/